FGFF was established in San Francisco in 1958 by Fred Gellert, a prominent Bay Area developer, home builder and philanthropist
In 1922, San Francisco brothers Fred Gellert Sr. and Carl Gellert established Standard Building Company, acting as developers for single-family houses and duplexes.
In 1958, Fred Gellert Sr. founded The Fred Gellert Family Foundation to give back to the community he helped build. Over 50 years later, it is still a family-run organization. Fred Gellert Jr., alongside his wife Annette, moved the headquarters to Marin County, where it is currently based.